Thursday, January 1, 2009

Flying

My dear husband was finally able to fulfill one of his wishes to fly a plane! With weather changes, after rescheduling several times, Sunday afternoon, it finally happened! Even though it was COLD & windy, the instructor was willing if Eddie was and he was!! We met the instructor & after a few minutes of pre-flight checks & instruction, they were off! It was so cool to watch them taxi down the runway. At the time, I didn't know Eddie was at the controls because we both thought the instructor would do the take-off & landings, letting him handle it while in the air. I was so surprised to find out Eddie took off, flew the plane AND landed it!! The instructor had her hands on the controls at times to teach but she was patient & coached Eddie who was learning fast. She even said he did "above average" for his first lesson! I'm so glad he was so elated & I'm so thankful I could give him this for Christmas. I love to see him so excited and have a wish come true!
More...
We plan to work towards continuing his lessons as we can. He's already started investigating the books he needs to study, etc. Looks like Ebay will come in handy. We are so excited at the possibilities ahead! He's actually considering going back to school (when/if Solutia goes under) for aviation mechanic. I'll support whatever he wants to do. He says if he's going to learn to fly, he wants to know how to work on what he's flying. We feel like this will be a plus on his resume! =)
We'll keep you posted on future flights! Also, I was so excited, I forgot my camera & will have to snap a picture of the plane & Eddie next time.

1 comment:

Christie said...

YAY! Sounds like a whole lot of fun! Glad you were able to do it, even in the windy conditions...